Nigeria Dominate the World Internet Consumers Table on Its 54th Anniversary
Around 40% of the world population has an internet connection today. In 1995, it was less than 1%. The number of internet users has increased tenfold from 1999 to 2013. The first billion was reached in 2005. The second billion in 2010. The third billion will be reached by the end of 2014 at this rate.
Understandably, the world most populated country China leads the chart of countries with the highest number of internet users in 2014. Reaching 29.99% i.e 641,601,070 internet users out of 2,981,011,134 world internet users.
China is followed, though at a very wide margin by United States with 279,834,232 internet users.Which is 9.58% of the world overall internet users.
Behind United States is the world second most populated country and the world third most populated internet users. 243,198,922 people access the internet from India which is exactly 8.33% of the total internet users in the world.
Japan (109,252,912) and Brazil (107,822,831) follows further behind in fourth and fifth place respectively, both having 3.74% and 3.69% population share of the world internet users.
The sixth and seventh place is occupied by Russia (84,437,793) and Germany (71,727,551) respectively, collecting 2.89% and 2.46% shares of the total population count.
Nigeria is posed on eight position in the global internet population ranking table. The African giants with over 178,516,904 human population, seventh most populated country in the world has improved its share of the global internet population by 16% since 2013. Nigeria currently has a total of 67,101,452 internet users, constituting 2.30% of the total global internet population.
Nigeria and the Egypt are the only African countries in the top 20 global internet consumers ranking table. The rest of other countries in top 20 include:
- 9. United Kingdom 57,075,826 (1.95%)
- 10. France 55,429,382 (1.90%)
- 11. Mexico 50,923,060 (1.74%)
- 12. South Korea 45,314,248 (1.55%)
- 13. Indonesia 42,258,824 (1.45%)
- 14. Egypt 40,311,562 (1.38%)
- 15. Viet Nam 39,772,424 (1.36%)
- 16. Philippines 39,470,845 (1.35%)
- 17. Italy 36,593,969 (1.25%)
- 18. Turkey 35,358,888 (1.21%)
- 19. Spain 35,010,273 (1.20%)
- 20. Canada 33,000,381 (1.13%)
Latest posts by Ebenezer Obasi (see all)
- Recharge your MTN Airtime Anytime Directly from your Bank Account - May 27, 2017
- MTN DND: Stop Unwanted SMS from your Network Provider - May 27, 2017
- Awale, Backgammon and 1 other Game Technology has transformed - May 27, 2017